Saturday, March 27, 2010

Beginners Walking Plan


I wrote a article the beginning of this year about New Years Resolutions for 2010. One of the resolutions was exercising. I started an exercise program myself, but slacked off due to technical problems. Well, actually, I started off to fast. I over exerted myself. Came out thinking I was still young and vibrant. Wrong!

I did find a article in Family Circle that was right up my alley. This article provided me with a plan, a beginner's plan. What I needed in the first place. So if your like me, please take a couple of these tips before you jump off into a exercise program.

Look what a simple brisk walk around your neighborhood can do for you:

1.lose weight
2.reduce stress
3.fight osteoporosis
4.nourish your joints
5.strengthen your heart and lungs
6.prevent cancer
7.decrease pain associated with arthritis and other chronic conditions

Grab those sneakers and do this five step walking plan three to five days a week. This plan was developed by the Arthritis Foundation.

Step 1 Warm up (3 to 5 minutes)
Walk at a slow pace or march in place.

Step 2 Stretch (4 to 5 minutes)
Prevent pain and sore muscles with a few simple stretches after warming up. Target your calf muscles, iliotibial bands, quads and hamstrings for 30 seconds.

Step 3 Walk (5 to 30 minutes)
Move like you going somewhere, but don't overexert yourself. I your're huffing and puffing, your pace is to fast. Each week you walk, add 5 minutes to your walking time. By being a beginner, you should start off by walking only 10 minutes.

Step 4 Cool down (3 to 5 minutes)
Don't skip this step, it is important to let your body downshift from high gear to low gear of everyday movement. It prevents blood from going settling in your legs,which can cause light-headedness and fainting.

Step 5 Stretch again ( 8 to 9 minutes)
Repeat the stretches you did in step 2. But this time hold them for about 1 minute each. Don't bounce and remember to breathe.

Please share with me your accomplishments and how this article has helped you.

No comments:

Post a Comment